PRESIDING DEITY AND LOCATION :
Sri Mahavir Bhagwan in red coral color, seated in a lotus posture, of height 135 Cms located in a shrine amidst hills at a distance of about 3 Ks from Bijapur village. (Shve).
ANTIQUITY AND SALIENT FEATURES :
In scriptures, the names of this place are shown to be Hastikundi, Hathikundi, Hastakundika etc., In “Shri Parshvanath Bhagwan Ki Parampara Itihas” (History of Parshvanath Bhagwan’s tradition) written by Muni Sri Gnansunderji Maharaj, it is stated that this temple of Sri Mahavir Bhagwan after being built in Vikram year 370 by Sri Virdev Sri Shreshthi was ceremonially consecrated at the hands of Acharya Sri Siddhisuriji. King Vidagha, son of Raja Harivardhan after hearing discourseson Jain religion from Acharya Sri Balibhadrasuriji (who was also known as Vasudevacharya or Keshavsuriji) the disciple of that great erudite scholar Acharya of the age of Sri Yashobhadrasuriji, had accepted Jainism as his religion and in Vikram year 973 he got this temple first renovated and then ceremonially consecrated. The successors of Raja Vidagharaj viz Mammatraj, Balprasad, Dhavalraj etc., were also followers of Jain religion. Even they had contributed towards propogation of Jain religion and after carrying out renovations made large donations by way of gifts to the temple.
A reference is found about the installation and ceremonial consecration of the idol of Sri Adinath Bhagwan in Vikram year 1053 by the hands of Sri Shantyacharyaji. Again a reference is found about the existence here of red color idol of Sri Mahavir Bhagwan in Vikram year 1335. It is stated that householder Jains of Sevadi hoisted a flag on the temple of red-colored Mahavir Bhagwan in Vikram year 1335. In Vikram year 1345, it is believed that this place started becoming known as Hathundi. In between how, when and why the idol of Sri Adinath Bhagwan was removed and red colored idol of Sri Mahavir Bhagwan was ceremonially installed and consecrated is not known.
The last renovations were carried out here in Vikram year 2006 and at that time with a great festival of joy and enthusiasm once again the ceremonial consecration was completed at the hands of Punjab Kesari Yugvir Acharya Srimad Vijay-Vallabhsurishvarji. The same ancient idol of the 4th Vikram century is still to be found. Below the idol of Bhagwan Sri Mahavir there is the usual sight of a lion but its mouth is of an elephant. May be, that is why this city is called “Hastikundi”. Such a sign is nowhere to be seen on any idol and this is its uniqueness. Besides, the red coral colored idol of Sri Mahavir Bhagwan has its special importance in the field of art of iconography. IT is noteworthy that Acharya Sri Kakkasuri Saptam, Sri Ashtam, Acharya Sri Devguptasuri Saptam,Sri Vasudevacharya, Sri Shanthibhadracharya, Sri Shatyacharya, Sri SUryacharya etc., having set their feet on the soil of this shrine has done many deeds in glorification of Jain religion. Sri Vasudevacharya had founded Hastikundi Gachahha in this place. From here it was that he had cured the Maharani, wife of Raja Sri Allat, king of Aahad of her dangerous fatal disease of “Ravati”. Once upon a time on this range of mountains there existed a large city which had eight wells and nine Vavs (stepped wells of a different structural design). It is said that 1600 women were drawing water for their household requirement simultaneously. Old wells and Vavs as also ruins of ancient palaces in this area remind one of the beauty and grandeur of ancient art.
This is the place where various “Gotras” such as Zamad, Ratadia, Rathod, Hathundia etc., were found. Their ancestors Raja Jagmalsinhji in Vikram year 988 and Raja Sri Ananthsinhji in Vikram year 1208 had accepted Jain religion. Acharya Sri Sravadevsuriji had obliged the latter. The two kings had merely recognized their gratefulness by such an acceptance. Every year on Vhaitra Sukla 13 a large fair is held here in which thousands of devotees including Adiwasis, Bhils and Garasias participate to feel immersed in devotion to the Lord. Yaksha Revati of this place is a great and live worker of miracles whose installation ceremony was performed by Acharya Sri Yahsobhadrasurishvarji in Vikram year 1208. there is no other temple nearby in this place.
APPROACH – ROUTE :
The nearest railway station are Jawaibandh 20 Kms away and falna 28 Kms away. The nearest village is that of Bali 25 Kms away. Taxis and buses are available. Bus stand is in Bijapur village which is 3 Kms away. There is a road upto the temple and cars and buses can go there. The shrine of Ranakpur is 40 Kms away from here.
AMENITIES FOR JAIN PILGRIMS :
For Lodging there are two Dharamshalas near the temple with all facilities, large halls, blocks and guest houses. Bhojanshala for meals is also available.
MANAGED BY :
Sri Hathundi Rata Mahavir Swami Teerth
P.O. Bijapur – 306 707
Dist : Pali, Rajasthan
Tel : 02933 – 40139