PRESIDING DEITY AND LOCATION :
Sri Falavriddhi Parshvanath Bhagwan seated in a lotus posture in black color, and of height almost 105 Cms. The shrine is situated in a small village named Medata about 1 Km from Medata road railway station (Shve).
ANTIQUITY AND SALIENT FEATURES :
It is believed that this shrine got resurrected during 12th Vikram century. This idol of Sri Parshvanath Bhagwan discovered from under the earth was associated with miracles concerning milk and sand and was installed ceremoniously in the presence of the whole Jain community consisting of all four of its sections viz., householders and saints both male and female with great éclat and joy in Vikram year 1181 at the hands of Acharya Sri Dharmagoshsurishvarji. There is a reference that in Vikram year 1199, a great festival was held when the sanctification ceremonies for this idol were performed at the hands of scholarly and erudite Acharya Sri Vadidevsurishvarji. Also a reference is available of the event when the banner of Jainism and the Kalash were hoisted on the temple in Vikram year 1204.
This shrine is described in detail in “Puratan Prabandh Sangrah”, “Upadesh Tarangini”, “Tapapgachchha Pattavali” and “Vividh Tirthkalp”. It is stated that in Vikram year 1552, Sri Hemarajji son of Sanghpati Sri Shivarajji of Sur dynasty had carried out major repairs to this temple. In Vikram year 1653, some more idols were installed here after due consecration ceremonies. Thereafter in Vikram years 1935 and 1992 further major repairs were carried out here, Sri Jinprabhsuriji in his composition of the 14th century entitled “Vividh Tirthkalp” has stated that a visit to this one shrine was equal to visits to 64 other shrines. This statement must have deep significance.
In this composition it is also stated that one of the cows of Shreshthy Sri Gopalak Dhandhal was not yielding any milk and when enquires were made through the cow herd, it was known, that under a certain tree adjacent to the nearby mount, all the milk of the cow was just oozing out. Sri Gopalak was informed of this fact accordingly. Later he had a dream in which the Guardian Deity revealed to him that under the earth below, at the spot where the milk was oozing out, there was lying hidden an idol of Sri Parshvanath Bhagwan with a seven hooded cobra and if proper efforts were made idol would manifest, in which event the idol should be ceremoniously installed in the temple built for the purpose. Sri Dhandhal Seth narrated this revelation to his friend Sri Shivankar. Both friends became extremely happy. After making a diligent search on the basis of the dream, this miracle-working magnification idol was discovered and the construction work of the temple started. The construction got delayed due to shortage of funds and both the friends got dejected. The Guardian Deity once again appearing personally, advised that in from of the idol there will always manifest a cross in the form of a “Swastik” made up of gold coins and with that construction work should be finished without anyone knowing about this information. The construction work was then resumed and all the five halls were even completed when once as misfortune would have it, sheth’s son secretly saw the wonderful scene and since then the supply of gold coins stopped and the construction work remained unfinished.
In Vikram year 1181 when Acharya Sri Dharmaghoshsurishvarji visited this place, he delivered religious sermons to the community and after getting work finished, he performed the consecration ceremonies for the temple. Sultan Shahbuddin in his invasion and plunder had attacked the temple and as a result of the idol got a little damaged. In return, it is said that due to divine powers, the sultan was seized with illness of extreme affliction. Only when he gave orders to his army to desist from making any further damage and destruction, the affliction diminished and later was over and thus the temple and the idol were saved. This very idol was later installed again with proper sanctification ceremonies.
The Guardian Deity here is very much alive and powerful and works miracles. Every year on Asoj Krishna Dasami and Posh Krishna Dasami, a festival is held here which is attended by men and women devotees in thousands. It is said that obeisance even once here serves a life and fulfils all ambitions. Life stories of Bhagwan Sri Mahavir and Parshvanath are very artistically depicted on cloth pieces here. At present there is one another temple nearby and also a Dadawadi.
APPROACH – ROUTE :
Nearby station of Medata road junction is only 250 Meters away. Medata village is 15 Kms far. Buses are available to reach this place from Jodhpur, Medata village and Nagore. There is a tar road upto the temple and Buses and cars can go upto its doors. One can reach this place by train from Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Punjab, Jammu, Mumbai, Ahemdabad and Kolkatta.
AMENITIES FOR JAIN PILGRIMS :
There is a large Dharamshala in the temple courtyard and all facilities. There also exists one Bhojanshala for meals.
MANAGED BY :
Sri Falavriddhi Parshvanath Teerth Trust,
P.O. Medata Road- 341 511
Dist : Nagore, Rajasthan
Tel : 01591-52426/ 76226